Thursday, February 19, 2015

Opera

   Truth be told, I listen to opera quite a bit. When I was younger, I never had the opportunity to listen to opera with an open mind. Each time it came on I saw the reactions of everyone around me and just assumed that it was terrible. But once I gave it an earnest shot, I found that I really enjoyed it.
   As much as I enjoy opera, I wasn't really a fan of the Madama Butterfly animation by Pjotr Sapegin. I felt like the animation was so bizarre it took all the attention away from the music. When we were watching the animation, I completely lost focus on the music and paid all my attention to the characters. 
    I was really interested in the intricate set at the Met. The set is made out of 24 planks are attached to an axis held by two towers on the stage. The set runs on a hydraulic systems and weighs about 90,000 pounds. It was amazing to watch the Valkyrie scene. They used the set to make it look like they were riding animals and then it turned into the background- it was so fascinating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment